Craig and I went to Hawaii. We went met his sister and her husband and his brother and his wife. We left the boys. They thought we were mean, but we enjoyed a wonderful couple vacation. (We missed the boys terribly.)
So I will try and tell about our trip.
We left Wednesday (March 13) and headed to the airport. We took the boys to friends to get them to the bus and put our packed bags in the car and off we went.
We had been on the road for a little bit over an hour. I was talking to Debbie (my sister) when something I said panicked (just a bit) Craig. I hung up, looked at him and he told me he had forgotten his wallet. He needed his driver's license to get on the plane.
My reaction was one of relief. I was so glad it wasn't me. He was embarrassed and angry and frustrated, and . . . .
There was nothing to do, but turn around and go back and get the wallet.
We were almost to the Utah border.
We were traveling on buddy passes from Debbie. As we turned around, we knew we would miss the flight. I called Deb, and she found us another flight through Seattle.
At the beginning of the trip, I still was excited and happy and teased Craig out of the frustration.
After retrieving the wallet, we rushed back to Utah. We were in sight of the airport and ran into traffic on I-15. We saw the traffic zipping along on Legacy. We had chosen the wrong road. We were slowed to 15 miles an hour because of rubber necking. That insured that we missed our flight.
We got to the airport, printed the ticket to Seattle, met Deb, and went through our first trip of security.
We watched the plane fill and leave without us.
Craig talked about going to Mesquite and golfing. I was not too excited about that alternative.
We left the gates and talked to the Delta ticketing agent. She headed us toward Los Angeles. (Probably Craig's least favorite airport.) We went back through security. It didn't look good, but we got on the plane, even sitting together. First leg accomplished. We were in Los Angeles. Too late to get a flight out, we got a hotel.
We managed to get on the first plane to Honolulu, again sitting together. Another miracle.
Our new plan was to get a car, drive to the temple in Laie and go to the Polynesian Cultural Center afterward and maybe meet up with Sandy and Alan.
This is the rental car. The license plates have rainbows. This was the first picture of our trip, in the airport anxious to get to the temple.
We found the freeway, the tunnel under the mountain and the road that led north. I loved the landscape, but we were intent on getting to the temple.
We found it. It was amazing. I have been looking at pictures of this temple for my whole life thinking I would love to go, but also thinking it was impossible. But here we were at the street lined with palm trees leading to the temple.
We changed in the visitor's center and headed to the entrance. We were not paying attention to the time. We arrived at 2, they were ready to start the 2:00 session. They waited for us and another couple -- so nice. The temple is small. It is like the Idaho Falls temple. We moved from room to room and listened to the film. We were only 10 people in the session, but it was wonderful to share in their spirit.
Afterwards we took some pictures. Good thing we waited until after. :)
The water fountain.
The temple with it's frame of palm trees.
The palm trees.
I love this picture.
The sign saying Laie, Hawaii Temple.
The palm lined street that leads from the temple. It was so green. So refreshing after a winter in Idaho.
1 comment:
Welcome back! You're so good to be so full of the spirit of adventure! Your trips are anything but boring, that's for sure.
And, seriously, you must be the best examples ever heading to the temple first thing in all of your traveling adventures.
Post a Comment