Monday, May 22, 2023

Before I Forget

We have been in Peru almost a week. Currently we are traveling to Piura for our visit with interpol. 

I wanted to tell about some of our experiences we had while traveling from SLC. 

At the airport in Salt Lake City, we were at the kiosk. It had been a while since we had traveled, and we have never traveled to Peru, so we were fumbling our way through the check in process. We were half way complete, we checked in Craig and were getting ready to check me in, when a lady came up right next to Craig - opposite of where I was standing next to him - and said, “Me next.”  

I was astounded and somewhat perturbed. I don’t remember what I said, but I was conscious of the badge I was wearing. She said she needed to check in, but couldn’t do it on her one. Craig continued checking me in and I asked her where she was going. I can’t remember what she said and she wandered off. Craig just shrugged. 

Later in security I brought it up again. I thought she was really bold trying to hit on him with me being right there - obviously still perturbed. He laughed a bit and said he thought she was thinking he worked there. He was in a suit and was wearing a badge. She didn’t take time to read the badge or notice everything and was just focused on getting help checking in. 

Traveling now days is a bit like self- checkout at Walmart. And it is not exactly intuitive. 

The same thing happened twice in stores in Peru. He had the shopping bags and I was in the store looking for items. He was approached by people showing him their receipts. The actual security guys were laughing at the misunderstanding. 

I guess he looks like he is there to help people, and he has a friendly face and is approachable. 

The thing is, he does have something that will help them. They just aren’t looking for what he (we) have. 

No comments: