I grew up in Utah. Just south of Provo.
My two older sisters each had a chance to attend General Conference as part of a choir.
I have never attended a live session.
Until yesterday.
We got tickets for the Sunday Morning session.
Saturday we loaded up and found Conference on a radio station. We changed stations three times during our three hour drive.
Saturday afternoon, we were at Craig's sister's house. The boys played with a huge bin of Lego's during the session. I like that idea and plan to incorporate it in our family's tradition.
Craig and Zach attended the Priesthood session and we stayed home and watched movies. Next October, Josh will be attending his first Priesthood session. He is excited to turn 12 and graduate from Primary. :)
We got up early and headed into Salt Lake. Our tickets said to be in our seats by 9:00 am. Craig wanted at least 30 minutes to park and get to the Conference Center. He dropped us off in a sea of humanity. I bubbled with happiness as I guided my boys through the throng. I was a bit nervous about the presence of protesters. I only noticed two, and they were both understated. I'm not sure my boys noticed them.
I was amazed at the throngs outside looking for tickets. I felt a bit guilty that I had tickets and they didn't, and I guarded my tickets carefully. We encountered an army of helpers, stationed at every possible turn, greeting us with smiles and ready to help us find our designated area.
Our tickets directed us to the second group of seats in the balcony. We were early (Craig was in charge) and we found plenty of seats to choose from. They boys went down close to the front of our section and we headed in. We were close to the middle. I stood up and looked back up the section, waiting for Craig.
While we were there, we saw a couple from our ward. He had been one of Josh's Webelos adviser's. Boaz saw a boy from his school. I thought how amazing to see somebody that we knew in that mass of people. As I was searching faces, looking for Craig, I noticed one particular face, more than 10 rows up. I waited a bit trying to make sure that I knew him. He stood up and made his way to somebody he knew. And I was sure. I told the boys to stay put and I made my way to the row where he was visiting. I was still looking for Craig and wasn't watching when he was finished with his conversation. He excused himself and tried to get back to his family, and I turned and said hello, that I was in his way on purpose. He was my old bishop from Gresham OR. We hadn't seen each other in about 8 years. He asked about Craig and took me up so I could say hi to his wife. We visited and caught up on the past 8 years. Their two daughters are in college now. They were happy to hear about our boys. And then Craig was there, smiling and happy to see old friends.
I am amazed to think that we saw people we knew. Craig spotted another family from Gresham that we knew. And our old Stake President was sitting in the row behind us.
The Tabernacle Choir was practicing and I was absolutely delighted to be where I was.
I started to pick out members of the Quorum of the Twelve that were already seated, and then we watched and listened to Music and the Spoken Word.
We stood as the First Presidency entered and the Sunday morning session started.
I was touched during President Eyring's talk. His obvious emotions triggered mine, and I went digging for the Kleenexes, grateful that I had remembered them.
Sister Dalton's talk inspired me. I know I am the mother of boys, but I am a daughter.
Elder Hale's talk was sweet, and I was surprised he was so frail.
And we loved President Monson's talk. My boys thought he was funny. Craig and I were talking the day before about how far the world's morality had dropped, just in our life time. Not even that, but just in the time since we were in high school. I know I need to work on recognizing and following promptings.
Josh had a conference activity book. And he was busy with it during the meeting. Josh took notes on President Monson, "very, very, very, very, very funny", President Eyring "very funny, emotional, good talk", Elder Ballard, "Mormon is a nickname, we are Christians", Elder Hales "Good talk, His peace and rest will be yours"
His Conference ABC's
Apostles
Bishop
Choir
Deciples (disciples)
Elder
Faith
Henry B Eyring
Incredible
Jesus
Kind
Love
Monson
Neil L Anderson
Organ
Packer
Quentin
Russel
Scott
Thomas
Uchtdorf
Valiant
Wise
Xiting (exciting)
Youth
and I will add
Zion
I loved President Uchtdorf's talk. I loved Elder Scott's talk. (I need it to help me get ready for an assignment for Souper Saturday. I thought of my good friend Anaise during President Packer's talk and thought I should not fear. I am excited to go back and read Elder Bednar's talk and Elder Cook's talk.
Actually, I am excited to go back and read all the talks!
I am excited about the new temple announcements.
I love General Conference.
1 comment:
What a fun and happy adventure for you! My girls are so curious about what it would be like to actually attend conference . . . maybe someday . . .
Post a Comment