Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Repair men

How is it that when the repair man comes, the thing that is broken doesn't act broken?

Our garage door is acting up. It's an automatic door. It won't close all the way. It gets stuck not even half way down and then goes back up. I have not parked my car in the garage for a week. It makes the garage basically useless.

So today the garage door guy (who just happens to be our neighbor) came to see what was going on.

The first time we tried to open the door, it opened slick as a whistle. I was so frustrated. He opened and closed it several times.

I tried to explain what it had been doing.

I pointed to the track where the door would get stuck.

He said it was just a sensitivity issue.

I pointed to the sensors at the base of the track. The sensor at the right has a lens that has condensation. The light that should be green was yellow.

He was not impressed.

I went to close the door and it went not even one panel before it went back up.

"That is what it does." I pointed.

He said that it was the logic board. and had me try and close the door again.

Not even half way.

I was so relieved. It was acting up when somebody who knew what he was doing was there.

He will bring a new logic board tomorrow.

Hopefully I can park my car in the garage again. No more scraping windows. Just in time for colder weather.

2 comments:

Anaise said...

That's what my oven did over and over and over again until I thought I would scream!!! Every time a repair man came it worked perfectly.

Finally we got rid of it and just bought a new (second hand) oven.

That was at least 5 years ago and I still sigh with relief every time I turn the knob and my oven comes on and stays on.

Unknown said...

I actually saw you scraping you windshield the other morning. It is getting too cold.

I posted your Lesson. Thank you so much!!!