Friday, August 16, 2013

Remembering Dad

Wendy and I were traveling to Idaho Falls after receiving notification that Dad had passed away.  I asked Wendy, "Do you know what I want to do?"  She responded, "Go Fishing!"  

So the day after, for a therapy day, I did it the way I happily remember.  I got up early (4 am) prepared the equipment then, made a fried egg sandwich. I put on Dad's hat, got into his pick-up and headed to the Big Lost River.  Before leaving town I had to stop and get a chocolate milk or it would not be right.

In traveling to the river, the drive took me through the desert and past the site where dad worked for so many years.  I arrived just before sun up and caught the first fish around 7:15 am (luck from dad's hat).

I spent the day on the Big Lost. Brad came and met me there. We enjoyed the day fishing on the river I believe dad loved the most; doing what I know he loved to do the most. We kept a few fish, but caught a good number and at least were not "skunked," a term dad would use if we did not catch any fish.

I love my father very much, so often he would sacrifice doing this very thing so that I and my siblings could have or do what we wanted. This was a day that I wanted to honor him the best way I could.

Thank you Dad for sacrificing so much for me, thank you for being my father and thank you for loving me.



Dad's hat.


Dad's Truck


Fish from the Big Lost River.

Guest poser -- Craig Oswald

1 comment:

Anaise said...

I'm glad you have good memories of your dad and that you honored your love for him (and his for you) in such a beautiful way. I'm sorry for the grief you must be feeling right now. May your someday reunion in heaven be joyful!!!!