I read several chapters looking for a verse I could put here. This verse is still not a feel good verse, but at least it isn't a verse of doom either.
This verse shows the Lord will fulfill his word, even when it seems unlikely or impossible.
There are times when a high tree is brought down. I remember a wind storm in Oregon. I was at the temple and a tree had blown over. My car was almost hit. I learned that tall trees, although beautiful and apparently strong, were susceptible to strong winds. And with the shallow root systems of the trees of the Northwest (because of the abundant water) trees frequently fell in the winter storms.
I have seen low trees grow on high mountains. Trees clinging to rocks and cliffs grow in the most unlikely of places. They are beautiful and show persistent life in the most harsh of circumstances.
In Yellowstone trees die from the inside out. They start out fresh and strong and then are surrounded by toxic water full of chemicals and bacteria from the hot springs. I have been fascinated to see the signs of the water encroaching on life and transforming a vibrant landscape into skeletons of previously healthy trees.
The seemingly impossible is the last: to make the dry tree flourish. I have tried to save almost dead plants. I have had some small success on smaller plants. But when a tree starts to die, I have no skill to save it. And I think that God is here saying that he can re-animate the already dead tree. Or find that smallest spark of life that is invisible to us, and fan it into life and vibrancy. I have seen that happen with people. People you wouldn't give a second glance to totally transform and begin to fulfill their eternal potential. When it happens, it is beautiful. It is a miracle. It is the work of God: "to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." (Moses 1:39)
And because He has spoken it, He can, has done and will do it.

1 comment:
Beautiful insights.
Post a Comment