Friday, October 6, 2017

Saying good bye

Today is Elder Hales funeral. We ha e all known that he has been ill, for a long time. I have been thinking lately that I can remember all the 12 being called. I can remember the counselors in the First Presidency being called. 

I can remember President Monson being an apostle from my earliest memories. This past General Conference is the first time in my memory that he did not speak from the pulpit. 

A new era is about to open in my life. An era when I will no longer hear the stories of little Tommy Monson, I will no longer hear the stories of his widows, I will no longer hear his memorized poems. 

But I know he misses his dear Francis. 

These funerals remind me of how old I am. 

President Eyring told a lovely story about Elder Hales. He had been golfing and felt that something was wrong. He made a long putt before he was rushed to the hospital. President Eyring saw the medical personnel working long to save him. After some time, a doctor came and brought Pres Eyring to Elder Hales. Elder Hales opened his eyes wide and said "They made me come back."

I guess I love that story because Craig would probably love to go out that way. The last act on earth - sinking a long putt on the golf course in the company of dear friends. But he came back and continued his mission. I remember someone reporting a conversation they had with Elder Hales in General Conference recently. "What do you do when you can’t do what you used to?" This younger apostle asked him. He replied, "you do the essential things."  His last act on earth was writing his final testimony of the goodness of Jesus and His power to save. 

He is a true example to us all to be true friends and obedient to the Lord. 

1 comment:

Anaise said...

How I love Elder Hales . . . and all of the general authorities! Though I admit that time helps me learn to love them, and the newer ones are not yet as dear to my heart as the ones I've studied and loved for a long time. But time will pass and love will grow. :)