Cody came to visit the only weekend it would have worked. He brought three of his friends. They drove Deb’s car. It’s a standard transmission. They had fun visiting beaches and going out to eat yummy food.
Our last Sunday in the ward Craig and Josh spoke. So we made pancakes, said good bye to Cody and his friends and went to church. During Relief Society, Craig poked his head in and motioned me to come out. Cody had called and the clutch had gone out on
the car. They were an hour away in Rancho Cucamonga. They were waiting for a tow. We finished our last Sunday, headed home and ate a quick bite and then Craig was on his way to help.
Before he got to them he called me. There was no way the car would be fixed that day. The boys had no way to get home and they had to get back to their lives. The only way to help them was to let them take my car. I knew he was right, although I
caught my breath a bit. Only Craig and I have ever driven it cross country before.
I got in the Chrysler and headed to go pick up Craig. I must admit, I have really gotten to rely on the map feature in my car. I got lost without it. I had to pull over and look at my phone. My eyes are getting bad so I had to fish out my readers for
the phone and then look over the top in order to see to drive. Getting old is no fun.
I got back on track and back on the road. But not before I left a somewhat pathetic voice mail for Craig. He called and I was already fine. He drove home of course.
That left us with only one car until I picked up Deb’s car on Wednesday when the boys and I headed north for the reunion. Craig Ubered to pick up the Chrysler that I left at the shop in Rancho Cucamonga.
I haven’t driven a standard for about ten years. It took me a bit to just figure out how to put it in reverse to leave the parking lot. Then I couldn’t find the latch to open the gas tank. Boaz found it for me on the door, of all places. I raved the engine
in first for about half he day, but we made it work.
Going through Las Vegas, we hit stop and go traffic during construction on the freeway. So I got a lot of practice in first gear. About a half an hour or more of going from first gear to neutral back to first gear. I got excited when I made it to second,
but then I was almost immediately back to neutral and stopped. I was so relieved to get up to speed and leaving Las Vegas in my rear view mirror.
We had arranged to stop in St. George and spend the night with Joe and his family. I was glad we had. I was tired by the time we got here. And as I pulled off the freeway, I forgot I was driving a clutch and killed it. Josh was worried that I broke the
car. It’s always fun to talk with Joe. He talks about ideas and I left his house with a borrowed book, Guns, Germs and Steel. I’m excited to learn something new. The boys are at the right age to enjoy conversations with Joe to, so it was
a win all around.
Thursday we got back in the road with a date to change cars in Salt Lake City. We made an unscheduled stop in Spanish Fork to see Joyce. She looks the best that I’ve seen her in a long time. But she was headed out the door in 30 minutes for dialysis.
I didn’t get a picture, but we had a nice visit.
We met Deb and mom for lunch at a cute little diner in Murray. In the process of packing up my sewing room, I decided to share a recent gift of fabric with Deb. So she has new fabric and a fixed car and we have our red car back. Yeah for my navigation
in my car. And we were back on the road to Idaho.
First stop we saw Dawn in Idaho Falls. She fell last week and dislocated her ankle and broke her ankle. She’s in a rehab center for the next six weeks. Poor thing.
We stayed in her apartment and then on Friday the boys and I went to the lake with her family. Craig worked his last day and we picked him up at the airport after 9.
The boys immediately went on the kayaks. I went on Sandy and Allen’s boat. We snapped a few photos of Josh and Boaz.
Jousting was the activity of the day.
Each brother ended up in the lake.
We all got together after dinner for a photo. At least those that were there at the time.
1 comment:
Whew! That's more car adventure than I can stand--and I was only reading it! Scott's car is a manual transmission, so our stick skills are current, but every clutch is unique, so it's always an adventure getting used to a new one. :)
I love the pics of the boys on the water.
I may have to go to the lake today.
Post a Comment