Saturday, December 6, 2008

Our Journey to Bethlehem


Our "costumes" as we went to Bethlehem. We were taxed a non perishable food item per person and instructed to tie our "donkeys" at the proper entrance. We brought a blanket to sit on in case the inn was full and were given our pouches of money (hardened clay tokens made by the senior primary) to purchase food in the market place.

I realize that my outfit is Muslim rather than Jewish, but I wore it anyway. Most of the people that came entered into the spirit of the event and wore costumes too.

The booths were wonderful. Yummy soups and fruit (including figs and dates that my boys would not try) breads and cheeses and of course desserts. We paid a token at each booth.

There were also booths for purchasing gold, frankincense and myrrh. There were also dreidels with instructions. My boys think it is an awesome game.

A fun and eventful night. To end we had the choir sing and an excellent reader read from Luke and Matthew the story of the birth of Christ. The bishopric were the three wisemen. I was in the choir and we sang the wonderful carols from the hymn book. I love Christmas music. A great night.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anaise said...

Boaz looks like a miniature Craig in that picture--Josh is all you. The "tokens" idea was so cute. What a fun night!

Holly or Joe said...

Awesome Idea!! I love that your ward really got into the whole spirit of the season. I love that many people dressed up. I think you all look great!