Being the Bear Den Leader has challenged me to do stuff. Like the masks and visiting the Sheriff's Office. This week, we learned about chess.
Craig taught Josh a while back. So he already knew the basics. In the past two days, Josh and I have played two games. In today's game, he tried to set me up into taking his pawn. I was not interested and he was perplexed.
"Mom, why didn't you take my pawn?"
"Josh, I'm not interested in your pawn. I'm after your king."
I've been thinking about that. How many times do we get distracted from the important things with trivial distractions. By going after the king, I was able to control the game. He reacted to my moves. I'm not a great chess player. I thought I had checkmate twice, but he saw a way out of it. Then when I did have checkmate, I thought it was check at first. I'm learning too. But I know enough to know I want to call the shots. I can't wait back and see what he is planning to do. Just get in there and find a plan and go with it. Kinda' like life.
1 comment:
Great analogy. I've love chess. Joe and I used to play all the time when we were dating in college. We got pretty good then, but I'm totally rusty these days.
I'm glad you both are learning together, and that you get to enjoy the time together -chess can take a while. HAve fun playing!
Post a Comment