Thursday, June 10, 2010

A closed window

Last night I left the door open to our shed. It is a well hidden door. I had 27 masks in varying stages of drying. The fan was on, and I thought an open door would circulate more air.

This morning, not early at all, I went out to check on my masks to see if I could turn off the fan. I noticed immediately an Easter basket had tipped over and the colorful plastic eggs scattered all over the entryway. I bent down to clean them up and registered a frantic noise over my left shoulder.

Looking up, there was a blue bird desperately beating against the closed window. It could see the trees outside but couldn't understand the closed window was not the way to reach safety.

I reached for a broom and thought I could shoo the bird to the wide open door. The pitiful creature just hopped over the broom and continued it's useless, exhausting wing-beating against the increasingly dirty pane.

To get to the bird, I had to clear out some corner junk. It tried to hide behind a box, still right next to the impossible pane. It was tired enough and single minded enough to allow me to trap it against the window and catch it. I could feel it's beating heart, racing against my fingers. I cradled it carefully, trying not to damage feathers and delicate bones and carried it 5 steps and out the door. I put it on the lid of the recycling can and it flew off to the safety of a neighbor's tree.

I hope it can recover from the exhaustion and shock of being handled and enjoy the spring/summer day today.

I on the other hand have realized the importance of closing doors -- well hidden from people, but perhaps a lovely, dangerous invitation to wild creatures.

1 comment:

Holly or Joe said...

How funny. I wonder how long it had been stuck up in there. And, I'm glad you could actually get it out. It would have been sad if it just kept beatin' itself against the window. Silly bird