Today I finished Malachi. I started reading the Old Testament in January. I've been following along in the institute manual. I find it very helpful because it explains culture, idioms, geography, etc.
This is the third time I've read the OT completely (except for Song of Solomon.) It gets easier with each reading. I didn't get bogged down in the lists and the names. In fact, I discovered some the origins of several family names.
I rediscovered some wonderful stories and favorite verses. I'm getting a clearer picture of the history -- inside the Bible and out. I'm feeling more sympathetic to people that I just didn't get before -- like possibly Jonah.
All in all, I am a better person for taking the time to get to know the OT better. I have decided to read it at least every 4 years from now on. Each time we study it in Sunday School.
A few noted benefits from reading this year -- I am in love with Isaiah. I want to get to know the Proverbs and the Psalms better. I can hear the music of The Messaih by Handel and several of our current hymns playing through my head as I've read this year. I am learning some of the geography of the Holy Land. I am amazed at the patience and love of God for His stubborn children.
And being that I am stubborn myself, I am comforted. :)
I'm pretty sure I can read the Book of Mormon before January when I will dive into the New Testament again.
I'm looking forward to loving all the scriptures like I love the Book of Mormon. I've learned it just takes me reading them all, again and again.
1 comment:
I think you're inspiring me.
Post a Comment