Thursday, November 11, 2010

Our hike

We had a beautiful day for our hike. The sun played hide and seek with the clouds, but no rain.

We saw tons of geese, of course at a refuge set up for geese and abundant water fowl. :) We saw a bald eagle, a Western Meadowlark (Oregon State Bird), circling red-tailed hawks, a little black newt, a banana slug (icky), and a few deer.

I was amazed that we saw that much. They boys were excited and running around crazy. They laughed and shouted and played chase.

We met two very nice Rangers who talked to us about the Wildlife Refuge system and were our tour guides for part of the hike. They pointed out the eagle and meadowlark and identified the hawk.

We only did the loop once, the boy that needed the 3 miler yesterday was sick. So I will plan a 3 miler in April when the whole refuge opens up.

We talked about hiking, how to be safe, what kind of food to eat. We worked a bit with a map and compass. We talked about life cycles and conservation.

I wanted to talk about different trees, but the leaves had all fallen. So another reason to head out in April or later. :)

I am enjoying this calling. :)

2 comments:

Anaise said...

Sounds a lot like a hike we tried to take recently--only wetter--ours was windier.

I love fall!

Holly or Joe said...

Perfect hike! I'm glad you get to do this kind fo calling while you have a boy in Scouts. That makes it all the better.