Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Bird of Paradise

I remember the first time I saw this flower. I was in New Jersey as a nanny. My employers brought in a huge, beautiful boquet that had some birds of paradise. I have always thought it an exotic flower, associated with wealth.

When we came to California I saw birds of paradise all over this area. 


They are more common than roses back home. They appear to be easy to grow. I love the orange and purple together. Today I noticed it really is a series of orange flowers that emerge from its green cradle.

We have a neighbor that said she hated birds of paradise. Even though they are common place and used in almost every apartment complex's landscape design, I still love them. Now even more because they attract hummingbirds that perch just outside my window. 

1 comment:

Anaise said...

What a sweet and happy perspective you have. I'm like your neighbor--I think they're ugly and common. I shall try to be more like you!