Friday, November 27, 2015

Mormon Battalion Museum

I was sitting in Sacrament Meeting a few months ago and I saw an email informing me that I had an ancestor that was in the Mormon Battalion. 

So when we moved to Southern CA, I wanted to make sure and go and see the Museum.

We got there and the sister missionary was telling us some info while she was standing in front of some  old style pictures. The thing is that the pictures looked like they were high def. I was distracted by the pictures, and then one of them sneezed. One of the pictures sneezed. It was like Hogwarts. The pictures started talking and then they all got up and walked away.

We were invited to go into the next room.

It was charming. I learned a lot about the Battalion.

The story about the nine year old boy that walked over 100 miles in 8 days all by himself to catch up to his dad freaked me out a bit. I looked over at Boaz and thought that boy was two years younger than Boaz. His poor mother.

At the end, there were kiosks where you could look up the members of the Battalion.


I couldn't get the image to copy to my pictures. But I found out that my ancestor ended up at Sutter's Mill. I don't know if he was involved in the discovery of gold, but he might have been there. It is fasinating to me when my people are part of historical events.

He ended up going on a mission to the Malad Valley. I have driven the Malad Pass every time we went from to Idaho to Utah. He lived in Soda Springs, ID and ended up dieing there. That was very close to where I lived up until we made this last move.

Somehow that information makes me feel closer to him.

Clinton Bronson. He is from my dad's line.

Family History is fun.



No comments: