Thursday, September 1, 2016

Ponderize - Ezekiel 36 part two

My offering for the Relief Sociery Presidency message. 


For those attending school, September is a new beginning. New classes, new classmates, new teachers. For others, September is the time of the harvest.  A time to reap what has been sown. Both of those leads to a bit of reflection.

 

I have recently read a verse in Ezekiel that I have been pondering. "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh." (36:26)

 

I have been thinking about the times my heart is stony; about the times I let stress, worry or anger warp my perception. 

 

In the chapters before this verse, Ezekiel talks of the destruction of the wicked; those who mock, lie and look to other sources for their happiness.

 

And then the miracle verse, God will change our hearts. The scriptures are revealed, the wicked are destroyed and then Ezekiel sees and understands or measures the temple.

 

There must be a pattern there for our lives.

 

We must work for a new heart: it is a gift from God, but surely we must seek it. And in order to seek it, we must examine our heart to find the stony patches and the places where doubt and fear live.

 

As we turn over our weaknesses to Him who will strengthen us, we will understand His word and will in our lives to a greater degree. As we give up our individual wickedness, our hearts will turn to the temple and we will be prepared to meet Him when he comes. 

 

May we take this time of new beginnings and the harvest and ponder on our relationship with the Savior. May we make more space in our hearts and our lives for Him who would heal us. And in so doing, may we find more peace, faith and joy.