Today after listening to Josh rapsidize over the Book of Mormon and the new videos coming out and his favorite BoM hero’s, I left work a few minutes late. (I work through lunch so I can talk when he calls)
I didn’t even get out of Durango, but I was close when the traffic stopped. Dead. Stand still. With no where to go, I checked my gas - full tank and waited in line for the accident to clear. Thirty minutes and seeing between 7-10 cop cars pass us in line, I got up to the front of the line where police were turning everyone around. I wanted to ask how long. He had no idea.
My phone was at 20%. I hate eating at a restaurant alone. So I went back to work, plugged in my phone and turned on the computer to see what was going on.
Alternate routes in my head. South to New Mexico, west to Arizona, turn north to Utah and head east to Colorado. Maybe 4-5 hours. Or head north to Silverton, over Red Mountain to Grand Junction. Get on I70 west to Utah. South through Moab and east to Colorado. Again maybe up to 6 hours. No good!!!
I clicked on the news link. Highway 160 was closed after a man evaded police during an attempted traffic stop. He got out of his car and headed into the canyon. They called in canine and drones. No eta on when the road would open.
There was at least 100 cars that had been turned back. People were headed home after work to families and evening activities. About 90 minutes after I first tried to go home, I read the road was opened again. No mention of apprehending the suspect.
Back to my car. Down the hill into Durango. As I headed out of town, I swore I passed every law enforcement officer in La Plata county. City and county c are lined the highway, lights flashing, and officers searching the wild hills.
I was resolved to not pick up any hitch hackers, not that that is ever a good option - but especially not tonight, and to get home as soon as possible.
One of my freakiest drives home ever.
1 comment:
Weeelllll, I'm glad you're safe and sound enough to write about it.
Here's hoping he's apprehended, and the road can stay open!!!
Post a Comment