Such a crazy, full, fun week. It will be impossible to tell all of what we have done.
So I think I will focus on impressions.
This mission thing is no joke. Craig and I have been very tired all week. Our experience started Monday. Ronda drove us down to Provo and we stopped by Josh's work to say hi and see where he works. I have to say I think he is so handsome. He looked so official and happy to be where he was. We love him and are so glad we get him.
Our chauffeur
Being part of a huge group of missionaries is awesome. There were so many faces and names and stories to remember. I have constantly had to ask questions to remember what we were told the first day. They asked me to say the prayer in the first meeting. I choked up as I expressed gratitude to be numbered among such a company. After all the work and waiting and worrying, we had made it.
Waiting for out ten minute window to enter.
Still hoping for Iquitos
We were divided up into districts. Our district has four couples. Our teacher is new. This is her third week. We have fallen in love with her. Her smile is infectious. She is so supportive of all of our weirdness, and the weirdness can be strong for sure. She is kind as she teaches people three times her age. She is patient as she shows some of us how to use Facebook and other technology. She is joyful as she testifies of Christ. She is knowledgeable as she teaches us from Preach My Gospel. I have come to adore her. We love Sister Nevarez.
The Nance’s, the Moon’s, the Miller’s and us. This is our district with Sister Nevárez.
Our morning teacher is Brother Karras. He is kind as he deals with us as we wander into class a little late after breaks. He is watchful to make sure we can walk the distance to the field trips to view the amazing murals in the new building. He notices small little hurt feelings and focuses direction away to give space to recover. He laughs at our dumb jokes. He is patient as he teaches us how to use the Gospel Library Ap. He is knowledgeable as he teaches us from Preach My Gospel. He is a good sport as we show interest in his dating life. I have come to adore him.
The Large Group Meetings bring us all together where the Spirit is a consistent companion. We have loved the devotional with Steven J Lund. He brought his lovely wife and Brad Wilcox, his counselor in the Young Men's Presidency.
Today we had a meeting about the Character of Christ. Elder Bednar gave a talk that we reviewed and discussed. I love his definition of the character of Christ. Christ turns outward in love, compassion and empathy when the natural man turns inward in self-absorption, self-concern and selfishness. He said the natural man is like Cookie Monster, he wants what he wants right now.
Craig and I have enjoyed spending so much time together. We have loved focusing on the weightier matters. On day in class we were supposed to share with each other a Book of Mormon scripture. He decided to make it more interesting. He chose my scripture at random. It was a verse that I have never marked, and really had just read over as part of the narrative, not looking at it for insight. I read it and looked for something to say about it and found something that touched me.
The phrase that stood out to me was, "if ye had known me." How many times do we not take the time to know people. To make snap judgments and not appreciate what they are trying to do for us.
These are random memories and thoughts. All of them filled with light and love. We are so lucky to be able to be here and do what we are doing. We are loving this time.
No comments:
Post a Comment