Friday, July 8, 2011

Family History Excitement

I have found some family names. I have worried and wondered and delayed figuring out how to get them to the temple. The process (without me looking into it) seemed complicated.

So, last week, I hit the "continue" button in new.familysearch.org and it took me to a page where the names were all lined out. I had to hit another button and then print off a paper with a bar code.

Today, because the temple was closed for summer cleaning the last two weeks, Craig and I took 4 names -- three men and one woman -- and were baptized for them. Craig baptized me. That was fun.

I have found out that the feeling of doing names that I have found and prepared is different than getting names that someone else has prepared. I felt more part of the process. I know that names are really people. And all people need to have this done. But there was more of an emotional connection -- more enthusiasm.

Which is funny, because Craig and I discussed the logical and emotional reasons for doing family history on the way to the temple. He is almost pure logic. I am logical for a female, but am still emotional. The discussions we have make me laugh when we are done and have come to a common conclusion. Sometimes it takes us a while to figure out what we think and how we got there.

1 comment:

Anaise said...

Scott recently did some family names, too. I think it matters when we do our own family members--it matters when we do any sort of service, but the spirit of Elijah is a particular spirit and blessing.