Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sentry Key

Our car comes with an anti-theft device.

It will only work if there is an authorized key being used.

Sounds pretty good, until the car decided the key is no longer authorized.

I read through the manual -- to see if there was a way to reset the stupid feature.

I did not find anything.

I called an authorized dealer here in town. Their best advice was to tow the car in and they would hook it up to the computer.

No thanks.

I remembered I had done this once before and we had figured out a way to reset it.

I didn't remember what we had done.

I called Craig.

He had a busy day and didn't get back to me for hours. (When he did, he thought I didn't have a ride to work and he felt horrible. It happened after work.)

He remembered what the fix was. He came home and disconnected the battery. That reset all the features back to new.

The car now recognizes my key as authorized, and I can drive again.

I really don't like this feature.

1 comment:

Anaise said...

Hmmmmm, that's kind of a funny predicament coming from someone who didn't actually deal with the problem . . . sometimes trials are blessings and blessings are trials, huh?

May your car never forget who you are again. :)