Thursday, April 4, 2013

Sunday in Hawaii

We got ready for Church -- the third day in a row wearing my dress. I was happy when I wouldn't have to wear it again for a while.

We knew the time and made it with plenty to spare.

It was fun to see people at church that we had seen in the temple the day before. One of the workers recognized us as well, and he came over and talked to us. He introduced us to his little granddaughter that had followed him over. She peaked at us and wasn't sure if she wanted to say anything -- cute, cute girl.

We chatted for a few minutes until they were ready to start the meeting. He said that before the Kona temple was built, it would take about $700.00 for a temple trip. The airfare to the other island, the hotel, and the food.

It was a good thing that we went on Saturday, because the next week, there was a ward from Maui (I think) that was scheduled for a temple trip. He said they come in mass, still paying that much money.

I've read The Other Side Of Heaven that talks about the amazing faith of the island people. I was excited to see it in action. And in my brief moments interacting with the faithful islanders, I think I did. It was Ward Conference, and to start it off, there were three confirmations. A dad with his two teenage daughters. His wife was there, clearly happy to witness the moment. The Spirit was strong.

The bishop spoke about reviewing our lives and working to improve ourselves. The Stake President spoke briefly, happy to give some of his time for the confirmations.

Kris saw her cousin in the congregation. She doesn't get to see him very often, he living in Hawaii and all. :) It was a really, good day.

After lunch, we decided to go on a drive. We piled in the cars and headed north. We snuck in a gated resort and took a walk around the pier. Kris was driving and Brad wanted her to just follow a car in. Finally Alan followed the car in and Kris snuck in behind him. I'm just glad that I wasn't driving. I hate doing things like that.

But in Hawaii, the beaches and water front are public. Hotels can't keep the public out.

We saw our first sea turtle there. So I was glad we went in, but it was a bit stressful for a minute.

The sea turtle.


I didn't touch him, but clearly I got a bit too close. Of all the behavior that was pushing the limits that day, I think I went the furthest with this shot.


He just lay there, sunning himself. He didn't seem too disturbed. I was thrilled.


Just communing with him for a bit.

We walked around a tidal pond. A little retaining wall had been built and filled with fish. We saw moray eels. I was glad to see them from the walk way and not in the water. I hear they have nasty tempers. One was golden in color and two more were muted green.

We returned to the cars and headed north again.

And  I have to go to work. So I will post the rest of the day later.

No comments: