Saturday, May 31, 2014

Behind the wheel.

I have been nagging Josh to get two merit badges for over a year. Last month he asked about learning how to drive. I told him if he got those two badges done, I would take him to the church parking lot and let him get behind the wheel. 

His dad has been letting him back the car out of the garage for a while now. 

This week he met with the merit badge counselor and passed off his badges and turned them into his scoutmaster. He fulfilled his part of the bargain. 

So today, I finished the book I was reading, Micheal Vey - a bit upset that I have to wait for the fourth book to be published, and we went to the church. The parking lot was totally empty.  Josh was a bit nervous, but excited. 

I had him drive from the back parking lot to the side several times. The biggest distractions were the light poles. He stayed well away from them. After a bit I had him do figure eights usung the light poles as the vertices. He was freaked out a bit, but he settled into it well. Then I had him back up straight and do a U-turn. A bit scarey, but he did well. 

I took a picture to send to his dad. 


He is not a fan of the camera, but he didn't really have a choice here. 

We went for pizza, and he can't wait for the next time. 

1 comment:

Anaise said...

That is just cool!!