Saturday, May 24, 2014

Idaho Falls Color Run

Josh and his friend, Seth, decided to run the 5K color run. I didn't get many pictures. It was a bit chilly and the wind was blowing. I was blown away by all the people that showed up. I was people watching more that picture taking. 

I got a shot of the group that was running with Josh.


I was on the wrong side of the crowd. 


I got a shot of the people that ran by just after Josh raced past. 

I didn't get a picture of Josh as we cheered him close to the finish. 

I didn't get a picture of him and Seth after the race. 

I found him and his dad at the car and Craig pointed out a little girl, maybe 4 years old, who was sitting down on the curb lost. It's easier to trust a woman, so I gave Craig the iPad and went and got the little girl to take to the radio people who had the sound system going. Craig was given the instruction to get a picture. Josh allowed the picture, because he was informed that I had paid for the event. 

The little girl was successfully reunited with her parents.  I was struck with how easy it would be to steal her. She was afraid of me, but she let me take her through the crowd of people because I promised her I would help her find her mommy. I tried to explain my plan so she would know where we were going, but she came with me with no fuss. 

Her mom was very relieved to collect her. The little girl was very happy to see her mommy. I was left a bit traumatized at how easy it is to loose a kid, and how easy it is to get a kid to follow a stranger through a crowd of people. 

I went back to the car and we headed home. 

This is the picture I came back to. 


I am a bit in awe of how big he has grown. He is no longer my little boy. He is getting closer and closer to being a man. 

Of course he will always be my little boy, but only I will see him that way anymore. 



1 comment:

Anaise said...

I've been training my kids to seek out strangers when they're lost--based on the advice of a book I read long ago. They'd be scared, though, in real life.

Losing a kid (it has happened to me more than once) takes years off your life. I swear I'll die 10 years earlier than might have been planned because of the sheer terror.