Monday, September 22, 2014

Seminary blessings

There are many blessing associated with seminary. My boy eats lunch with a group over at the seminary building. Seminary is his favorite class, I excluded band from his choices. He is learning to love Church History and the Doctrine and Covenants. 

The blessing that got me writing this post has to do with devotionals. His turn was Friday. He thought about it for several days. We talked about possibilities that he could do. 

I was anxious Friday after school to see how it went. He was waiting for me to ask so he could tell me all about it. He choose to read Joshua 1:9. He thinks Joshua rocks, mostly because he is named after the author. 

The verse says:

9    Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest. 

He happily discovered that The Lord told Joshua to be strong and of a good courage several times. 

He told me he doesn't remember what he said, but that he got very emotional. For a 14 year old boy, that is rather embarrassing.

We talked about where that emotion comes from and what it means. I had to drag it out of him that it was the Spirit, but he knew it was. I said it was a gift and that we should honor the Spirit by recognizing him when he blesses us with such a confirmation. 

He told me that in seminary the teacher says that it is time for the students to find out for themselves if the gospel is true. But that he already knows. He has always known. He can't remember not knowing.  

He got a lot of good feedback from the teacher and his class mates. I hope he puts as much effort into  the next time. 

I look at him and think he is much farther ahead than I was at his age. The righteousness of the rising generation amazes me. 

1 comment:

Anaise said...

That's terrific! Emily's teacher had the kids sign up to present the devotionals for a whole week. My girl signed up for a week in March because she wanted to see what everyone else is doing first! I hope her experience is as good as Josh's.