Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Quilting with Kayla

My neice came up and for the past two days, we have chatted, shopped for fabric, and quilted.

She came up to learn how to quilt. I had her look at pictures of my quilts. I had her look at quilts on Pinterest. I had her look at my stash of fabric.

She decided to do my first project. A sampler table runner. I have learned a lot since I first sewed that. The  major lesson was all about value. I wouldn't let her make my same mistake. She picked her colors and I made sure she had some light fabrics and dark fabrics along with the more common medium fabrics.

She has learned how to iron, measure, cut and sew 1/4 inch seams. She has learned about nesting seams and pinning.

She got 9 six inch blocks completed in two days. I am so impressed. Her corners and points are excellent, perhaps better than some of my corners. I think she had fun, I hope so. I sure had fun.


The first four blocks completed.



The first 9 blocks. She only has 3 more to go. And then there is a big middle block in the middle. She'll have to come up again and I will teach her how to applique. I'm excited. I think she has done an excellent job.

This is a picture of the pattern. You can find it at Craftsy.com. An inexpensive pattern you can download and print yourself.


Obviously, we didn't stick to just one color, we have many colors. The center block is perfect to learn how to applique, another way that we modified the pattern. 

The directions are clear and contains pictures. Really a great project to learn how to quilt: half square triangles, flying geese, quarter square triangles. This pattern has some of my favorite blocks: log cabin, rail fence, friendship star, churn dash. And some of the most basic blocks: nine patch and 16 patch.





1 comment:

Anaise said...

What a great activity to share. The table runner is going to be beautiful!