This morning I read chapter 29. This is a very familiar chapter, filled with verses that have become well loved and well read. Parts of this chapter are quoted in the Book of Mormon, indeed this is the chapter that prophecizes of the learned man rejecting the words of the book. In essence, this chapter fortels the coming forth of the Book of Mormon.
It also talks of a wicked world. It tells of our time so clearly. This verse has always stood out to me.
This world seems to turn things upside down quite often. Our culture is so busy "accepting" new things that it has turned its back on the foundation of our society. We are clearly upside down.
Since I have been quilting I have learned a bit about framing. Not the actual nuts and bolts of the wood structure, but the part about designing the picture. I have had to decide what is the important part of the picture and I have framed it with borders of fabric. I put effort and thought into choosing colors and hues. I pay attention to contrast. I watch for light and dark. I consider the picture I want to frame and the fabrics I will use to construct it.
I have had to learn sewing techniques. I have learned about mitered corners and medallion corners. I consider the color to set off the "picture". I work to have the frame not take away from the picture by being too ornate or bold.
In doing so, I have more understanding of the entire design. Understanding - a big word. I know I get stuck in life in the middle of the design and forget to step back and look at the entire picture. Sometimes I even know I am doing that. I know about the growth that is happening and I can even be thankful for it. The next day, or hour, or minute I can become so overwhelmed or distressed or angry that I loose the frame, or point of reference.
We struggle for ease and comfort and reject work and growth. Or at least I do. I can get so caught up - in the thick of thin things. (Google just lead me to Neil A Maxwell for that phrase.) I get stuck in the trees and forget the forest. I get caught up in one element of the overall design. However many ways there are to say it, I wish I could remember the lesson. I wish I could maintain my perspective and trust the Creator with the design of my life - the design of my kids' lives. I watch them with my heart in my mouth and stress and fret and worry about things that don't matter.
I must remember what my friend Kay said in Sacrament meeting. She is getting ready to serve with her husband as mission president and mission mom. She was worried about her mother who is in failing health and a non-member who doesn't understand why her daughter is leaving for three years to a foreign country. Kay said she heard Him say, "I can take care of her so much better than you can."
And there you have it.
Trust the Creator.
Trust the Redeemer.
Trust the Savior.
Trust Him in all his attributes and titles.
He can do what He says He will do.
My job is do what He tells me to do.
My job is to trust He is working with my children to bring out their strengths.
My job is to love them and teach them and support them. To even badger them into completing assignments and chores. My job is to support them in the hard spots of life. But for real the hard part is to trust them to the mercy of God who can honestly do a much better job than I can.

1 comment:
I'll be thinking this one over all day today. Thanks for your testimony. :)
Post a Comment