Wednesday, March 23, 2011

cleaning house

It takes a lot longer to clean walls and windows than I ever think.

I am so grateful for dear friends, and my friend and sister, for helping me with the job.

We washed down walls and pulled windows out of frames and steamed the growing flora. We washed down cupboards and steamed the kitchen floor. I need to get me one of those floor steamers. It was amazing.

We ran the last load to Goodwill and took the bed over to Salem.

Do you know a bungee cord will not hold a mattress in the bed of a truck. Well, I do now. We had to turn around and pick the mattress off the road. That was embarrassing. After we asked Brenda's friend if he had a rope, I looked behind the seat and there was a rope.

You know, normally Craig does these kind of things. And he knows what he is doing.

We got the bed roped down and it drove just fine to Salem.

We had a lot of fun in that house, and now it sits empty. You know, once you take everything out, it's not home anymore.

I thought a lot about how much stuff I have. How would I have reacted to a covered wagon, or just a hand cart?

After 12 1/2 hours in the car, I am in Idaho. Waiting for the rental to open up. My piano is in a storage unit. That bugs me. It will be one of the first things out and in the new house.

My shampoo is in the storage unit.

The boys' piano books are in the storage unit.

I'm really not sure what else is in the storage unit. I tried to have it all organized. But I messed up on a few things.

In between houses is awkward.

I am grateful to my lovely in-laws who are letting us stay until we can move in.

I am anxious for April 1st.

2 comments:

miri said...

ha ha!! I understand!! Most of our stuff is in storage and we're on the road. Only difference is I will live in a hotel for the next 3 months while my stuff sits in storage. I'll soon be finding out what I didn't sort from the rest too :) good luck with the move!! Love you!!! (I have to admit I'm bummed I wont be able to come visit in oregon anymore)

Anaise said...

Hey, less than a week until April 1! Here's hoping your homelessness feels like a vacation instead!!!

I'm glad you're safely in the arms of your family.