I decided to write Pity Party because I can't pretend to be perfect. I don't think it is fair to share only my greatest and best moments. Moments of weakness make up my personality also.
So, after writing about my weak moment, I went to watch TV. I saw the results of American Idol and then Bones. As I was wondering what else to watch (I was binding my giraffe -- so I was being a bit productive) I saw the news.
I watched in real time as the Tsunami swept over a Japanese community. Peoples livelihoods and lives were being washed away right before my eyes.
One of the strongest earthquakes in recorded history (8.9) had just rocked Japan.
My sister-in-law's family lives in Japan. I was worried about them.
The news talked about a potentially lethal wave headed to Hawaii. I have a sister-in-law and her family vacationing in Kauai right now. I worried about them.
I started sending texts and trying phone calls.
I am grateful that they are all safe. My sister-in-law in Hawaii spent the night in a church building on higher ground. It was a long night, but they were all safe.
My sister-in-law with family in Japan texted that they were all safe. I sure they were all shaken and afraid. But they were safe.
Japan is still in danger of going through severe aftershocks. There is still danger of further earthquake damage and another possible tsunami. The Pacific basin is still alert to further potential devastation.
I am blessed to know my family is safe. We still have household goods to move. Our family is secure and intact.
I'm glad pity parties are short-lived and that gratitude can come so quickly and is lasting.
2 comments:
I'm glad they're safe. My mom was busy trying to contact friends yesterday, too. So far no one we know has been in danger.
These signs of the times make me wonder what might be coming our way.
It is so hard to watch all these hard times hit Japan and everyone else. I am glad to hear everyone you contacted was safe. I agree with Anaise, I wonder if this is a sign for more to come.
It is okay to post a pity party every now and again. It is about being real and not sugarcoating everything. I try to keep my blog real, the good and bad together. It helps me through life to have other friends there for me through the net as well as IRL friends.
Post a Comment