Thursday, May 21, 2015

Band Concert

Josh's band concert was last night. It was Cinema Magic. Three bands performed. I was worried that I would have to miss some of it because Boaz's Arrow of Light for Cub Scouts was scheduled during the same time. But last minute sanity took over and the Arrow of Light was changed to tonight.

Josh was pretty excited about it, but was trying to be understanding about it. He was happy when I told him that we could go to the whole thing.

He said there was a surprise at first.

Some people were coming to look at the house, so Boaz and I left early. We sat and were working on his scout assignments. Thenn Craig called. Craig and I chatted for a bit. I was watching people file in and the band director up at the front.

I jumped when the trumpet player blared out a clear, beautiful note. The house lights were still up. People were still talking. I was still on the phone. I said, "It's starting. I have to go." And the jazz band played 2nd line down the aisle. Josh passed right by me. I took a few pictures.


They were all wearing the hats and had skinny ties. I told him to smile at me and then I missed the picture.


At least he is looking at me.



And off he went. I knew I didn't have enough room on my phone for all the songs. So Boaz and I sat back to enjoy the show.


Josh loves the Jazz Band. They started off the night. They were wearing sun glasses and ended with the Blues Brothers Revue. So of course they were the Blues Brothers - except the mascot is the Broncos - so they were the Bronco Brothers.

Members of the Concert Band were dressed up as police officers and wandered the audience. At the end of the set, they stormed the stage and the Jazz Band scattered - instruments and all - and ran out of the auditorium. 

District 13 is of course a reference to the Hunger Games. I have refused to read the books. I've had people tell me I should. The books are really good. I just can't stand the whole premise. Adults put kids in a killing field and watch them slaughter each other for their amusement. I've watched part of the first movie, but I missed the "Hanging Tree" reference. It was cool though because they had a girl sing part of the song. At the end, members of the Symphonic Band stood up and answered her - in song of course. I might have to watch the movies to get the reference.

Boaz and I had fun identifying the Disney tunes and movies in the first number.

Josh was in the next band, the Symphonic Band. I knew they were playing songs from Star Wars because he played Darth Vader's theme for his trombone lesson last week. With all the movie music out there, Star Wars is still the most recognizable for me. They did a great job, and Darth Vader made an apperance. He used the force to choke the conductor. The mike didn't pick up everything he said, but apparently he wanted the Imperial March - his theme. I loved the trombone part.

The next number was a medley from The Lone Ranger, Zorro, Phantom of the Opera, Batman - the old TV version - and the Incredibles. The conductor came out in a Zorro mask and made the Z mark. For each slash the band played a chord. The Phantom made an apperance. All the girls in the band screamed - Boaz and I jumped - a drummer fainted. Dillan - a boy in our ward and a senior - took off his black jacket and went and wooed a girl in a white dress. The Phantom came and Dillan and he dueled. Dillan lost and was killed. The Phantam won the girl - who was surprisingly complient and they walked off the stage together. Josh told me afterwards that the Phantom was also named Dillon.

Two flute solos for Schindler's List. They were amazing.

The tall flag girls dressed up as pirates for Pirates of the Caribbean. Two of them had a cutlass fight right in front of me, and I actually got wounded in the fight. Pretty funny. 


Captian Jack Sparrow - herself. Another cute girl in our ward. I stole the picture from Facebook.



All the bands came back together for the last song. There is really good music from Guardians of the Galazy, but Josh said they all hated it. Just little snitches of the songs. However for Hooked on A Feeling the band did the ooga chuckas and a french horn came and sang the lyrics. He was amazing.

The back cover.


Boaz laughed when he saw "That was totally wicked!!!!" Seriously one of  our favorite movies ever.

This was the funnest band concert I have ever been too. They didn't take themselves seriously and just had a good time. Even Elvis made an appearance. The director had sparkly socks and the famous glove. He turned around and hit the pose.

My friend sent me some pictures she took. I'm so glad she did.


Good friends.


I'll have to ask who the cop is. Cute picture.


In character.


Great shot. I'm grateful to her and her much better camera. I love this one.

1 comment:

Anaise said...

What a fun, fun concert!

That last picture of Josh has him looking like a man instead of a boy!!!!