Wednesday, April 13, 2016

My assignment for seminary

Josh (my son),

It is in our dark moments that we focus enough to receive the greatest light. Joseph Smith received section 121 and 122 in Liberty Jail. These two sections have been the source of help for millions of members as they face trials, including me. When I felt alone and abandoned the Savior's powerful words to Joseph Smith still sound in my soul, ". . . All these things shall give the experience, and shall be for thy good." (D&C 122:7)

I have found similar verses as I have searched. Another of my favorites is, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, if you desire a further witness, cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might know concerning the truth of these things. Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?" (D&C 6:22-23)

I have found that He gives us answers and then He steps back a bit and expects us to remember and act on the answers that He has given us.

I don't always have the flame of testimony burning bright and hot, but I know I can do certain things to get it burning bright again. For me those include reading the scriptures and then writing about my feelings of a specific part, or thinking about a part that seems important at the time. 

When I feel discouraged or a bit broken I remember the time when I called out to God in my darkness and I received a definite answer. I have remembered that for more than 25 years now. It is a memory that can save me and I believe it will still save me in the future. The answer that God gave me that night was real and undeniable. I know that God listens to our prayers. He knows our trials. He feels our pain. He will save us when we are lost and in pain.

I know this year has been hard for you. I have also seen extraordinary growth on your part. I am confident that God has called us to this place at this time for a purpose. I can see your abilities in school and track have grown. You now have a new calling that will cause you to stretch again. I am confident God has a work for you to do, and this time is a preparation.

I love how you can find humor and laughter in life. This skill will help you all your days. You have an ability to draw people to you. You have an innate ability to understand deeply. I am astounded by your gospel knowledge and insights. I am so honored to be your mom.

I love you and I am so proud of you.


Wendy Oswald (your mom)

1 comment:

Anaise said...

You wrote it for Josh, but I needed it this morning.

Thanks.