Monday, July 25, 2016

Leading Music for Sacrament

I have lead music since high school. I know the basics - certainly not an expert. I have had to struggle with 2/2 but I am comfortable with 3/4 and 4/4.



Our ward doesn't really have a called chorister. I have stepped in several times.

Yesterday was one of those days. I was unfamiliar with the first song at first - in the middle of my hasty review, I recognized the refrain. The song was #34 - O Ye Mountains High. "O Zion! Dear Zion! Land of the free. That was the line that helped me remember the song.

So feeling rather confident - even with the random 2/4 measure in the middle of the song, I go up and stand in front of the congregation.

The first verse went okay. I experimented on how to lead the 2/4 measure. (The organist plays and I pretend I'm leading. He does his own thing. Several times that has been a really good thing. I've had to figure out my mistake and get back on track.)

The second verse went okay up to the point of the familiar refrain. I was distracted apparently and started to sing the first verse again. It took me a few measures to figure it out and almost started laughing. Not really cool. I had to get myself together and finish the song.

The meeting ended with the pioneer anthem, Come, Come, Ye Saints. I knew about the switch between 4/4, 3/4, 4/4 and back to 3/4. It was all cool. I know the words and didn't keep my eyes on the music. Half way through, I got lost. I was definitely on the wrong beat. I almost panicked. I frantically searched for the last key signature. It was 3/4 and I had been beating 3/4. On the second verse, I was glued to the music and then I saw the fermata. 



Aaaagh!

It must be my hubris! I need to not be overconfident. I am a skilled beginner. Certainly not somebody who can just sing along and not remember middle of the songs fermatas.

3 comments:

Anaise said...

:) You did your best, and you'll be even better next time. Kudos to you for getting up there and trying. You're awesome!

Wendy said...

It's what I get for being distracted. :)

Joseph & Shaylee said...

But you know what that cool eye symbol is called and what it means!! Way to go!! Our organist & chorister were both absent this last Sunday (husband/wife team, that rock btw) I ended up playing the organ (I AM NOT AN ORGANIST!!) and I had a sweet lady lead for me (I'm the music coordinator/choir director) we were both sweating bullets. It went well but oh my...nerve racking!