He works at a shop. The majority of the employees are men. Men at a bowling alley means intense competition. Craig played to warm up. He hadn’t played since the previous year. It showed. He has never bowled so poorly. His knee hurts a lot and he was adjusting his throw.
Not even one full game in the competition started. Everybody that wanted to put in $10.00. The boss, Jim Bob, matched the pot. People were way into it and the pot ended up to be over $600.00. Some people put in more than 10.00.
I am not a good bowler. If fact I was worse than normal, so I didn’t put in.
Jim Bob had started the trash talking that morning. He said he might not win like last year but he wouldn’t loose to a Russet. (Craig went to Shelley High School and their mascot was a russet potato-honestly the worse mascot ever.)
So Craig dug out his old lettermen jacket and played up the challenge. Jim Bob noticed that Craig was in the lead. He stopped the game and took a microphone and challenged Craig again. Trying to get in Craig’s head. They’ve golfed for over a year together and he has seen Craig choke. Craig laughed, rubbed the big red S on his jacket and continued playing. I thought it was a dirty trick. But it energized Craig - not what Jim
Bob wanted.
Craig ended up winning. Just over $600.00. That covered our yellow fever cost.
Some were trying to go double or nothing. I said no and we went home feeling incredibly blessed.
Craig wearing his jacket standing by Jim Bob and the lady that won the last frame.
1 comment:
How exciting! Congratulations to Craig!!!
Post a Comment