I passed this building several times, alone and with Craig. Each time I passed it, I thought it was beautiful. I noticed the sign advertising tours. So on Saturday, I told Craig I wanted to go, and off we went. I thought the stone work (masonry) was spectacular. I loved the different carvings all along the arch and the tower was way impressive. The tour included seven (I think) rooms. Each decorated in a different architectural style. I can't remember all of them. I'll list the ones I do remember. The Egyptian Room, The Ionic Room, the Corinthian Room, The . . . (I can't remember what it was called, but it was modeled after the Alhambra in Spain -- Moorish), the Renascence Room. I can't remember the others. Anyway, it was lovely. Craig was unimpressed and thought it was arrogant and elitist. I loved the architecture and the colors.
Anyway, here is a picture of the outside of the building. The tower room is no longer in use because of fire codes.
A close up of the arch way for the main door.
An arch for the Franklin Room. Ben is everywhere in Philadelphia.
A stained glass window in the stairway. It was lovely.
Craig wonders at my fascination -- I love to read the Templar novels and I love seeing the things I recognize in Masonic stuff. He still wonders why I like it.

No comments:
Post a Comment