Thursday, July 29, 2010

Visiting Kennecott

I have lived in Utah for most of my growing up years. I am discovering all sorts of places to visit that I never went to when I was a child. For example, Bingham Canyon Mine. The largest open pit mine in the world. Visible from space. I have seen it on the mountain for years. This past trip my sister, Deb, and I took the kids to visit. I was impressed with the size. Looking over the edge, the huge trucks -- the size of a small two story house [like the one I live in] look small until a normal size truck is seen by it.

This first picture is one of the boys standing next to a tire for the huge trucks. Just an idea of the size. I think we counted over 20 steps for the driver to climb to get to the cab.

 

Looking from the observation point into the mine.

 

On the tour, I was happy to hear about the millions the company puts into reclaiming the land -- and the herd of elk and other wildlife that live on that reclaimed land. I was impressed. :)

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: